JOB TITLE: Advocacy Manager
TITLE OF SUPERVISOR: Executive Vice President - Economic Development
Date: July 2022
The Manager – Advocacy serves the Chamber by supporting the EVP-Economic Development and President/CEO with the execution of the Chamber’s annual advocacy strategy. As part of the overall strategy, the Chamber will develop and advocate for its legislative agenda locally and statewide. In addition, this role will support any federal policy initiatives and interactions.
Essential duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Organize and support all activities around the Government Affairs committee and other committees associated with advocacy.
- Represent the Chamber, when Chamber leadership (or consultants) is unable to, on policy initiatives at hearing, briefings and meetings.
- Attend various hearing, briefings and meetings on behalf of the Chamber, including but not limited to Fort Worth City Council, County Commissioners, and other governmental/quasi-governmental organizations. This also includes travel to Austin for the state legislative session, when in session. The frequency and length of this travel will be determined by need.
- Research legislative and public policy issues in the areas including but not limited to economic development, education, workforce, talent attraction/development, quality of place, infrastructure, and healthcare policy to formulate the Chamber’s legislative priorities. Additionally analyzing those issues for potential impact on member and other partners.
- Disseminates legislative information to Chamber members, investors, and elected official’s offices. This includes legislative updates and messaging to those groups as well as other groups determined as needed.
- Monitor various platforms to understand statements and positions of various governmental offices and their effect on the community and membership.
- Utilize relationships that are developed with elected officials’ staff to help positively impact business related issues.
- Support and assist with the execution of strategic messaging and events.
- Make recommendations and help execute strategies to increase investor involvement in advocacy efforts.
- Prepare documents and reports as requested by EVP.
- Proactively develop relationships with staff at all elected official offices.
- Work with internal staff to incorporate the advocacy strategy into the Chamber’s annual marketing, communication, and event annual plan of work.
- Execute processes and procedures around advocacy stances by tracking key policy issues on all levels of government.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Four-year college degree
- Minimum 3 years of experience in governmental affairs or offices of elected officials
- Must have excellent organizational, communication and computer skills
- Requires excellent interpersonal skills with community and elected officials
- Self-starter and driven for success and excellence
- Requires analytical thinking and processing of data and information
- Expertise in implementing strategies to accomplish goals
DECISION-MAKING AND ACTION TAKING:
This position requires the ability to work with all levels of elected officials. Position may require making decisions regarding matters that are beyond written procedures and determine procedures for major activities. Must be able to follow directions and work with the team to address the Advocacy needs of the Chamber.
- Some domestic travel
- Moderate noise level
- Some lifting of boxes of up to 25 pounds
- Long periods of sitting
- Early morning meetings and evening functions